Sunday, July 8, 2018

The Orderly Disorder




“Are you sure about this doctor?”

“Yes, that’s what the reports say, but do not fret over it”

“Why should I not doctor? You are proclaiming me a psychopath!”

“No, you’re getting it wrong. It’s not what you are thinking; it can happen with anyone, not that you are social outcast now.”

 It was that day when I rushed back home and typed in the words on my computer “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder”. The first two words seemed comfortable, like any other personality traits I have, what loomed back at me was the word “disorder”.

I had heard about this for the first time in my college; when looking at my neatly arranged sheets and files, coupled with my habit of reassuring its tidiness every time, caught the attention of my friend’s eyes and he chuckled that I may end up having OCD someday.
Today, as a psychoanalyst, the same friend had confirmed it medically.

The first webpage on OCD read,
Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) is a mental disorder where people feel the need to check things repeatedly, perform certain routines repeatedly (called "rituals"), or have certain thoughts repeatedly. Common activities include hand washing, counting of things, and checking to see if a door is locked.  These activities occur to such a degree that the person's daily life is negatively affected.

As we speak now, about 2% of the world’s population is suffering from OCD. It is unusual for symptoms to begin after the age of thirty-five, and half of people develop problems before twenty.
The cause is unknown. Both environmental and genetic factors are believed to play a role.
Traditionally it has been thought that there are four main categories of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Checking
  • Mental Contamination
  • Hoarding
  • Intrusive Thoughts
Checking: where in people feel the urge to keep a check on things not once or twice but many times, to an extent to be called as ridiculous
Mental contamination: having a single negative thought keep  playing in minds continuously that it becomes the only thing that occupies one’s mind.
Hoarding: you feel that parcel boxes from your online shopping is so “exquisitely” made that you keep on hoarding them, in contrast to the right way of disposing them. Well does this make every Indian housewife afflicted with OCD? :-P

And intrusive thoughts: “Maybe my hands are dirty and touching my loved ones with these hands can cause some fatal disease” or “If I do not say a particular phrase in a day, it won’t let me settle and invite some unfortunate events”

I fondly call it the Orderly Disorder as the person feels the urge for common compulsions like ordering items in a certain way or checking things repeatedly and requesting reassurance. For instance, it’s common for a librarian to arrange the bookshelf a number of times in a single day but if I do it, which serves absolutely no purpose, there is something to worry about.

We all have had those days when we stood in front of the mirror for long and wished that you looked a little different, maybe could change some features of your face and body. Did you ever imagine that this thinking even, might lead to a compulsion? Well, yes it does.

The King of Pop, Michael Jackson had Body Dismorphic Disorder (BDD). He had over 30 cosmetic surgery operations and he would never take off his make-up, even in bed. BDD is a negative preoccupation with physical appearance. Many who suffer from this disorder are at a greater risk of becoming plastic surgery addicts.

Superstitions coupled with an OCD are a common scenario.
The number 13 being unlucky and 7 being lucky are just mere superstitions for us, but for an OCD afflicted person, it decides his or her daily activities and sometimes hampers the daily life.
In my school and college days, I used to ensure a white handkerchief with me during occasions like exams and presentations. It was an overt obsession with the color White. Even today, I believe I have that obsession being carried.
With this crazy stuff, you may think I am special. Well, maybe yes, maybe no.
Michelangelo, Charles Darwin, Albert Einstein, Nikola Tesla, Leonardo DiCaprio, David Beckham, Donald Trump and Ankit Satanekar :-P have got one thing common; all these have had suffered from OCD in their lives.
There are multiple tests available online which can judge the extremity of your OCD but a professional advice from a doctor only should confirm your belief.
It could be you, your loved ones; the first step to treat OCD is to accept them and do not label them misfits or outcasts. I never did use the word “patients” even once while referring to them. Treatment involves counseling, such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), and sometimes medication.

The fact that many individuals do not seek treatment may be due to stigma associated with OCD. I hope that going forward; we extend our helping hands to such people and help them get rid of this not so desirable Orderly Disorder.

1 comment:

  1. Washing hands without reason is my OcD.. this was sooo relatable!!

    ReplyDelete